Thursday, May 23, 2013

Finding a social media balance point

I see a lot of writers challenged by social media. How much is enough? How much is excessive? Which ones are important? What contributions to make? When to make them?

I'm no different. I've got the same struggles.

I've been neglecting my primary blog for a while, not by choice really. The main reason is because my Facebook fan page has been serving--for the most part--like a blog. That wasn't what I originally intended for my fan page. It's certainly worked out that way, though. So, is that wrong?

Nope.

Is there a 'right' way to be using social media? I mean as a writer.

I think the simple answer is: in whatever fashion works best for you for the purposes you have in mind.

Yeah, that's a cop-out answer. It doesn't help resolve 'how much?', 'how little?', or 'how often?' type questions. Really only you can render verdict on those. I promise no matter what you decide regarding them, there will always be reasons to think otherwise too. Very good reasons.

So keep an open mind then. Change what you do on occasion. Or not. The point is: control rests with you. Which is where it should be.


You decide. Whatever it ends up being, then that's what is right for you. Period.

Since I'm in control here, I'm going to make an adjustment. Henceforth I'm going to shift my mostly blogging-related actions away from my FB page back over to here. It won't be that big of a change either, because one thing more social media sites make darn easy is linking to just about anything else on the Internet.


No comments: