What Vortex has taught me about my writing:
- I'm not the type that can write the first draft from start to finish prior to doing any edits
- Polished (read: edited) scenes/chapters increase my confidence in the new, subsequent ones I write
- I'm a pantser, meaning I discover the story as I write it, but...
- Deep into the story, I really want to know where it's going, so I do outline the parts to come
- With outline in hand, I can't resist writing ahead--fleshing out upcoming scenes and vignettes--particularly the juicy or significant ones
- Regarding those upcoming scenes, sometimes my exploratory drafts get tossed, unusable; sometimes it triggers me to retrofit earlier chapters I'd edited and felt were mostly baked
Which means I write like most people play the games Civilization or The Settlers of Catan. Amazing, eh?
No matter your own writing style, here's hoping your 2015 is supremely productive and richly rewarding.